Cancun, Q.R. — A boy did early Monday morning in Cancun after the fireworks he was playing with exploded in his face.
The boy, who was 12, was celebrating the arrival of Christmas Day during the early morning hours Monday with neighbors when the fireworks known as “little bombs” suddenly exploded in his face.
The boy’s mother said that her 12-year-old son, J. D. G., was with his neighbors bursting “little bombs” in the street, when suddenly her other son came running home saying his brother was lying in the street injured.
According to the police report, the accident occurred around 3:00 a.m. in Cancun when a minor received burns and disfigurements from the exploding fireworks. He was rushed to hospital where he died 45 minutes later.
Police say the child was taken to the hospital with extensive injuries including severe facial disfigurements and third-degree burns to his face and neck.
This year, the municipality of Benito Juárez had banned the sale of fireworks, however, they were available for purchase in numerous Cancun tianguis as well as nearby towns.
On December 19, several minor children set a home on fire in Chetumal after playing with fireworks that exploded and become uncontrollable.