New tourist complex proposed for Akumal Mexico Tulum 

New tourist complex proposed for Akumal

Akumal, Q.R. — A new development project for the town of Akumal has been submitted to the Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources. The tourist project, Construction and Operation of the Nikte-Ha Tourist Complex in the Coastal Zone of Akumal, would be in collaboration with the Ecological Center of Akumal to avoid interfering with sea turtle nesting. Project promoter NEGTUR, presented the Environmental Impact Statement before the General Directorate of Risk and Environmental Impact, which reports to Semarnat. The tourist complex would be a total area of 909 square meters with 169 square meters being building, and the…

Read More
Illegal beach filling at Puerto Aventuras closed down Mexico Riviera Maya News 

Illegal beach filling at Puerto Aventuras closed down

Puerto Aventuras, Q.R. — Two hotels in Puerto Aventuras have had an illegal beach filling project closed down in the front of their hotels after authorities were notified. Heavy machinery and loads of sand were trucked in to a beach area in front of Dreams Hotel and Omni Hotel at Puerto Aventuras Monday. The work was being carried out quickly as more than a dozen workers were on site to unload the sand onto the beach area in front of the hotels. The work, which was being carried out illegally,…

Read More
Dead sea turtles found in nesting site of upcoming hotel Cancun Mexico 

Dead sea turtles found in nesting site of upcoming hotel

Cancun, Q.R. — A recent inspection of the enclosed area that is to become the new Gran Solaris Cancún, confirmed the death of several sea turtles. Volunteers from the Department of Ecology of the Benito Juárez City Council excavated the sand area, which was fenced last week with metal structures, and verified the existence of several specimens of dead turtles. Volunteers to the site also found sea turtle eggs that have yet to hatch as well as eggs that have already hatched, and presumably, made their way to the sea. On Sunday,…

Read More
State governor says justice will come for Tulum hotel owners Cancun Mexico 

State governor says justice will come for Tulum hotel owners

Cancun, Q.R. — State governor Carlos Joaquin says there will be justice for the Tulum property owners in regard to the three properties that are set for mandatory eviction this week. “It is a legal issue that will have to continue litigating, keep it working. We are going to look for justice and be the one that wins and the one that offers that possibility to those who are the true owners of these lands,” he said. The hotels of Viento del Mar, Cabañas Puerta del Cielo and Rosa del Viento, which were…

Read More
Cool air continues to enter Cancun, Riviera Maya regions Cancun Mexico 

Cool air continues to enter Cancun, Riviera Maya regions

Cancun, Riviera Maya — Cold Front 6 continues to bring cool air into the region causing a drop in both daytime and nighttime temperatures. According to the National Weather Service, a surface low pressure system, potentially a tropical cyclone, is expected to move from the western Caribbean Sea and merge with a cold front along the east coast this weekend. Shower and thunderstorm activity has increased and will become more concentrated in association with a trough of low pressure over the northwestern Caribbean Sea. Environmental conditions are expected to be conducive for development today…

Read More
Cold front from US continues to cool Cancun, Riviera Maya Cancun Mexico 

Cold front from US continues to cool Cancun, Riviera Maya

CANCUN, Q. Roo.- Cold front number six continues to bring cold air into the region from the eastern United States. The mass of cool air is being felt into the south of the Yucatan Peninsula including Cancun and Riviera Maya. The National Weather Service (SMN) reports weather for the Cancun, Riviera Maya region will continue with an 80 percent probability of strong thunderstorms with electrical activity in Campeche and Quintana Roo and intervals of showers in Yucatan. Cancun has a 20 percent probability of another shower during the morning hours, with mostly cloudy…

Read More
Laguna de los Siete Colores contaminated says Bacalar mayor Mexico Riviera Maya News 

Laguna de los Siete Colores contaminated says Bacalar mayor

Riviera Maya, Q.R. — The mayor of Bacalar, Alexander Zetina Aguiluz, says the region of Bacalar does not have the necessary resources to clean the Laguna de los Siete Colores and warned that pollution is worrying as many tourists swim in feces. He explained that the contamination of the lagoon cannot be prevented since there are approximately 100 occupied lands on the edge of the lagoon system that are without a proper sanitary drainage system. He says there are a total of 140 lands along the lagoon, of which about 100 have people living on them….

Read More
Playa del Carmen first for beach load capacity project Mexico Playa del Carmen 

Playa del Carmen first for beach load capacity project

Playa del Carmen, Q.R. — Playa del Carmen will be the first municipality in the state to participate in a beach load capacity project that officials are hoping will provide long-term coastal preservation. Jerónimo Ramos Sáenz Pardo, director general of Sustainable Tourism Management, explained that beach load capacity models are being designed specifically for tourist areas within the Pacific, Gulf of Mexico and Mexican Caribbean. He says load capacity models will be created for each area and will determine factors such as the services of a particular beach, the users…

Read More