Press "Enter" to skip to content

Attempted assault sees Cancun man killed with own weapon

Cancun, Q.R. — UPDATED: A young man was reported killed in a Cancun parking lot after an attempted assault saw his own weapon used against him.

The incident happened in the parking area of Plaza Cumbres in Region 310 when the young man, who was allegedly armed, approached a family who had just finished parking. Witness information says that during a struggle, the father managed to disarm the male and, using his own weapon, shot him.

According to police reports, Emergency 911 received the report Sunday at 2:00 p.m. who then alerted authorities. Quintana Roo Police were on scene where the body of the deceased male was found lying in the parking lot with a gunshot wound to his neck. The victim is said to be around 24 year of age. His identity has not been verified.

UPDATE: The first versions of what took place in the parking lot were deciphered from witness statements, however, a police investigation using area surveillance cameras over the past two days has revealed the shooting was more likely gang-related with four others involved.

The victim has been identified as 33-year-old Yonathan J.O. from Venezuela. He arrived in Mexico last year and was in possession of immigration documents. None of those seen on the video surveillance cameras shooting the young man have been arrested. Police are now treating the case as a homicide.

Loading...