Cancun, Q.R. – Archaeological sites in the state of Quintana Roo have seen an increase in the amount of domestic and foreign visitors.
During the summer holiday high season, many of the state’s archaeological sites have become main attractions for both foreign and domestic visitors. During the travel period of July 14 to August 13 of this year, nearly 300,000 visitors have made their way to ancient ruins and other Maya sites.
Adriana Velazquez Morlet, delegate of the National Institute of Anthropology and History (INAH) in Quintana Roo, says that so far they’ve calculated 82,455 domestic visitors and 200,472 foreign visitors to the 13 public archaeological sites throughout the state.
“It’s a figure we expected – the busiest sites in the north like Tulum, Coba and San Gervasio, but in the south of the state [around Chetumal], there was also a good turnout,” he said.
He says the figures are similar to last year with a slight increase in domestic tourists. He also said that this year, less people visited places like Xcaret and Xel-Ha, but opted for other cultural attractions.
In the southern portion of the state, he said places such as Dzibanché, Konhunlich, Oxtankah and Chacchoben were the most frequented by tourists.