Mexico City, Mexico — The prosecuting lawyer in the Ayotzinapa Case has given notice. Prosecutor Omar Gómez Trejo resigned from the case, which will be effective as of October 1.
On September 27, after days of media speculation, President Andrés Manuel López Obrador (AMLO) confirmed the resignation of Omar Gómez Trejo after disagreements on the procedures followed to approve 46 arrest warrants.
Last week, the head of the Commission for Truth and Access to Justice in the Ayotzinapa case, Alejandro Encinas Rodríguez, announced that 46 arrest warrants were issued in the case.
During his announcement, he blamed the previous bad procedures of freedom granted to those involved on the then PGR, saying they prevented the “recent actions” of the now Special Unit of the Attorney General’s Office.
However, Encinas stressed that the report presented by the Truth Commission will allow criminal proceedings to be initiated against more people involved, not just the 46 named.
Shortly after Encinas’ announcement of the 46 warrants, Omar Gómez Trejo resigned from the case.
At a press conference from the National Palace, AMLO said that the head of the Special Investigation and Litigation Unit for the Ayotzinapa Case is leaving his post after not agreeing on the procedures that were followed to approve the arrest warrants.
He also said that eight years after the disappearance of the 43 Ayotzinapa students, his government is receiving a lot of pressure to get justice.
“We are receiving a lot of pressure of all kinds and from many parties,” he said adding that justice will be served despite the pressure. Likewise, he said that his government acts in accordance with the investigation carried out by the Ayotzinapa Commission.
He said that Alejandro Encinas will continue to head the Commission for Truth and Access to Justice in the Ayotzinapa case, and that the Attorney General’s Office of the Republic will soon elect a new prosecutor.