Cancun, Q.R. – An American tourist staying at a Cancun hostel slipped and fell to his death Tuesday morning.
The 42-year-old from Chicago was on the third floor of The Wine Bed and Breakfast Hostel with his wife when carelessness caused him to accidentally slip and fall over the edge. Before hitting the pavement he made contact with city electrical cables below that followed him to the ground and fell on him, sending a high rate of voltage throughout his body.
Police, firefighters and paramedics quickly arrived on scene. He was taken to the IMSS Hospital in Cancun and treated for severe burns to 60 percent of his body. Judicial Police were notified just after 2:30 p.m. that the victim had died of his injuries.