Press "Enter" to skip to content

All 26 arrested in central Playa del Carmen to remain behind bars

Playa del Carmen, Q.R. — The Attorney General of the state says they have been successful in ensuring all 26 arrested on September 12 in central Playa del Carmen will remain behind bars.

In a press release, the FGE reports that prosecutors from the Public Ministry attached to the Special Prosecutor’s Office for Crimes against Health were successful in obtaining preventative jail terms for the remaining detainees who were out of jail on the request of their attorneys.

During their Tuesday hearing, a judge found enough evidence to place the remaining eight in preventative detention. Now, all 26 arrested on drug-related charges from central Playa del Carmen are incarcerated.

Late last week, the FGE reported that 17 of the 26 taken into custody were jailed, and that at the request of their attorneys, the remaining eight were out. One of those arrested during the takedown, Óscar Z, had an outstanding arrest warrant for two counts of murder. His September 18 hearing resulted in his preventative detention.

On September 12, an operation resulted in 25 men and one woman being hauled to jail on drug-related charges from several key central Playa del Carmen areas, one of which was Fifth Avenue. Police said some of those arrested were known for offering / selling drugs to tourists.

Loading...