Acapulco, Guerrero — UPDATED: More than half of the popular Acapulco nightclub Baby’O was reduced to ashes after a Wednesday night fire. Marco César Mayares, secretary of Civil Protection of Guerrero confirmed the fire inside the nightclub, which he says, stopped operating since the start of the pandemic.
The Secretary of Tourism of Guerrero, Ernesto Rodríguez, confirmed that approximately 60 percent of the inside of the nightclub was destroyed by flames. He said it’s believed a short circuit is to blame for the fire, but they are waiting for experts to complete their investigation.
The Baby’O nightclub in Acapulco was built in 1976 and become a type of icon for the once extremely popular tourist city.
UPDATE: The FGE of Guerrero has confirmed the iconic bar Baby’O was set on fire intentionally. Their investigation took a turn from short circuit to arson after surveillance cameras showed at least two men entering the club with gas cans.
The video surveillance was handed over to the FGE by the owners of the club. On September 29, emergency officials responded to the report of a fire inside the nightclub. The next day, videos began to surface showing men with gas cans. On the night of October 1, the Guerrero Prosecutor’s Office confirmed the fire was set intentionally, saying that they are moving forward with their investigation.
The identities of the men seen inside the club with the gas cans have not been revealed.