Press "Enter" to skip to content

20 admitted to Cancun hospitals for food poisoning

Cancun, Q.R. — At least 20 people were taken to Cancun hospitals Wednesday night after reportedly eating bad food.

The incident happened at the Mormon Church in SM 38 of Cancun Wednesday morning when church goers participated in a large group breakfast. Approximately 430 people participated in the morning event, however by evening, at least 60 were experiencing signs of food poisoning.

The sick began arriving at the Cancun General Hospital and IMSS Hospital by ambulance around 8:15 p.m. with vomiting, dizziness and upset stomachs. Of the 60 who were sick, at least 20 were admitted to hospital.

Tony Sanders from the church explained they were in a conference with young people ages 14 to 17 when several of them began to get sick suffering vomiting, diarrhea, nausea and fever, so they were transferred to the General Hospital and the IMSS.

“There has already been talks with the health authorities who are reviewing the young people. It is already controlled, there is no serious problem,” said Sanders, head of the church adding that the teens ate beef and ate chilaquiles for breakfast.

Preliminary reports suggest the food contamination was the result of Canícula, the hottest days of the year for the region. Last week, Cancun doctor Javier Santoy reminded people to be extra careful in the handling of food due to the excessive heat.

Loading...