Felipe Carrillo Puerto, Q.R. — A 12-year-old girl remains serious after being bitten by a poisonous snake in the community of Señor. The incident happened on Wednesday night while she was in the process of helping her mother wash dishes.
Her family said the girl had reached for a plastic wash basin when she felt a sting on her hand. When they looked inside the basin, they saw the snake. The girl was transferred to the Felipe Carrillo Puerto General Hospital, where she remains.
The 20-centimeter-long snake was put inside a plastic bottle and taken to the hospital to help doctors identify a possible antivenom. The snake, a terciopelo or nauyaca as it is known locally, is a species of pit viper. They are considered poisonous (venomous) snakes.
The town of Señor is in the neighboring municipality of Felipe Carrillo Puerto just south of Tulum.